Wow. What a year for G+
It’s easy to forget all of the changes that have happened around this place over the course of a year. When you list them all together you realise just how much has been done.
I am looking forward to see what else the G+ team have up their sleeves for 2018.
Originally shared by Leanne Osborne
2017 in Perspective
Happy New Year, Google+! It’s been quite the year since New Google+ began its maiden voyage. Time for a “blast to the past” with an overview of what happened in 2017!
We started off the year and officially turned down Classic Google+, and New Google+ became the only platform we supported. This big step was only the beginning in fully committing to developing dedicated Google+ features.
We also joined GSuite, and announced at Google Cloud Next that we were increasing our focus on developing an enterprise version of Google+ for GSuite customers. So we started working on this exciting endeavor alongside consumer Google+!
We also introduced Discover, a new feature that helps you learn about different topics and cater them towards your specific interests. A lot of this year was also spent on quality of life improvements, particularly features focusing on profiles, communities, search improvements, and tools to help you fight spam.
Speaking of features, here are the features we released to you last year:
• Responsive design
• ‘Your Influence’ profile metrics
• Chronological hashtags
• Notifications improvements (unbundling +1 notifications, fixing actor-action mismatches, ‘Load More’ button on the One Google Bar, improved email notifications)
• 360° Photos
• Member Activity View in communities
• Discover and Topics streams
• Improved Google+ Search
• Additional community stream sorting
• Comment preview box
• Bulk Ask-to-Join moderation for communities
• Enhanced the photos lightbox by including the social sidebar
• ‘Remove, Report, & Ban’ for communities
• New profile cards for the Web client
• ‘Open in a New Tab’ & hovercards for the Notifications page
• Communities Insights metrics
• Google+ Search operators
• Bulk moderation of posts for communities
• ‘Delete, Report, & Block’ comments in your profile posts
Overall, we had quite an eventful year, with more feature developments to come in 2018!
Interested in Testing Google+ Features?
If you’re a user who’s as passionate about Google+ as we are, apply to become a beta tester for our product. We’re looking for people who want to test out new features, and discuss them with both our product team and fellow beta testers. Our goal is to make Google+ the place to share your interests. Want to know what it takes?
Here’s what we’re looking for:
• Active poster on Google+
• Motivated to learn more about Google+ and contribute to product discussion
• Eagerness to provide high level feedback on our product
If you’re interested in applying, fill out the application form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf1RQl1bWCtk8iKgnjhkAjenK2nNcHFegC7RfdK5yYpIm-frg/viewform
Cheers to a productive 2017, and looking forward to what 2018 has to bring!